Wednesday 20 April 2016

Hell Reviews - Supernatural: Nevermore


 
 
 
Synopsis: This is a Supernatural novel that reveals a previously unseen adventure for the Winchester brothers, from the hit "CW" series! Twenty-two years ago, Sam and Dean Winchester lost their mother to a mysterious and demonic supernatural force. Since then, they have grown up learning how to hunt and kill the paranormal evil that lives in the dark corners and on the back roads of America...When the brothers hit New York to check out a haunted house, they soon make a more grisly and suspicious discovery. A spate of killings, apparently based on the stories of Edgar Allan Poe, are occurring near the author's old house. Join Sam and Dean on an all-new monster hunt, in this original Supernatural novel.

 
To celebrate the beginning of Supernatural season 11 starting here in the UK this Wednesday, I have decided that I will spend the next few weeks reviewing the various Supernatural novels that have been released.

Aside from Cold Fire, as it’s only just been released and I haven’t had a chance to read it, and naturally I can’t review Mythmaker as it comes out next month and ‘Pending title’ September’s book.

For this I will mostly be focusing on the actual novels, not the various others like John Winchester’s Journal or the Bobby focused one.
The first in the series of books is Nevermore, and what an introduction it was.

Despite having two other titles with that particular cover style and ten, soon to be twelve by September, in the new cover style, Nevermore has been one that stuck with me years after the first read and it originally came out on 2007!
Man…I can’t believe it’s been that long already.

Now let’s get this out there straight off the bat, as I’ve noticed that I seem to comment on these a lot, but I like the cover.

It’s simplistic, I like the colours and I like Sam’s shirt.

Story wise I think it’s great, the whole book did have the whole feel that the show contained around the time that it was released. Brotherly banter, to the point hunting and general ghostlyness.

I really enjoyed the case and the integration of each haunting spot that went along with the Poe focus, I especially enjoyed Robert the doll’s little cameo.

Sam and Dean were written extremely well, and after originally being stuck with fan fiction for a while before that book came out it was a pleasant change. Not to say all fan fiction is terrible, heck I write Supernatural fan fiction myself, but sometimes it’s hard to hit the nail on the head when writing certain character tropes.

Keith R.A DeCandido has quickly become one of my favourite authors of these books, he’s so good at picking up different characters and keeping them true to their original introduction and I always found his own tiny spins on them interesting as well.

The same was with the books in the various Buffy the Vampire Slayer book series, he seems to have this penchant for keeping characters in character and not grabbing them and just going wild.

I think this is a strong start to the series, nothing stood out to me that was inherently negative. This is one book that I would happily pick up and read over and over again, the hunting was enjoyable and reading the Winchester’s brotherly banter brought a smile to my face.

For the first novel for this books I would give it top marks.

No comments:

Post a Comment