Wednesday 11 May 2016

Hell Reviews - Supernatural: Heart of the Dragon.



A Supernatural novel that reveals a previously unseen adventure for the Winchester brothers, from the hit TV series! Twenty-three years ago, Sam and Dean Winchester lost their mother to a demonic supernatural force. Following the tragedy, their father taught the boys everything about the paranormal evil that lives in the dark corners of America... and how to kill it. Bobby Singer alerts Sam and Dean to a series of particularly brutal killings in San Francisco's Japantown. It's been 270 new moons since the last time, and it looks like the Heart of the Dragon is back...

Sorry for missing my movie review on Monday, it's just been a little hectic this past week and will continue to be so for a little while.
Anyway!
The first in the new cover series, but still classed as book 4 of the whole range, brings in another great edition from Keith.
As stated before DeCandido does a wonderful job portraying the brothers and their relationship, he is one of my favourites to adapt the series to book range and this one is no different.

As someone who lives in the old United Kingdom, I can’t say how accurate any of the locations are to their original regions, I know the show does the typical thing of using Canada as any place but Canada (except in that one meta, fourth wall episode) but book wise? I’m not sure on the accuracy.
If it is accurate, then I think it does a good job of portraying the focused area and introduces people who aren’t really familiar with it to that little place we didn’t know existed.

Did I know there was a Japantown in San Francisco?

Nope.

But I’ve heard of it now.

Do I know if it actually exists now?

No.

You’ll have to excuse my ignorance, but I’m also not amazingly familiar with my own countries geography so it’s nothing personal, I just don’t care about that particular subject.

The case at hand is a good one and keeps you nicely intrigued, it’s not the best case out of the whole book series, but it’s certainly one of the better ones.
If I had to choose between rereading this one and say…One Year Gone, I wouldn’t hesitate to nab this one up again, and not just to avoid reading that.
I will be getting to that one in a few short weeks time.

All in all, it’s a good read, not the strongest but most definitely not the weakest.

No comments:

Post a Comment